Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
Hukari Technical Services (HUKARI) prepared a Safety Analysis Document (SAD) and Accelerator Safety Envelope (ASE) per DOE O 420.2B for demolishing Building 51 and the Bevatron accelerator at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (LBNL). Hukari’s scope included:
- Review of existing characterization reports and used them to the extent possible in completing the SAD and ASE and supporting document deliverables
- Review of demolition contractor plans to evaluate techniques and associated hazards
- Assessment the state of the current facility, and the proposed end state
- Conducting site walk-downs, gathered documents and information, reviewed safety management programs
- Completion of accident consequence analyses of the facility
- Development of draft SAD and ASE documents, incorporated LBNL comments, and reviewed existing LBNL documents to ensure consistency with SAD and ASE
- Development of an Unreviewed Safety Issue (USI) procedure
- Meeting the accelerated schedule (3 weeks) for preparing the SAD and ASE which were subsequently approved by DOE.
- This effort was the first SAD and ASE developed under DOE O 420.2B for decommissioning and demolishing an accelerator and is being used by DOE as an example of how to write them.
Learn More about the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
4251 Kipling Street, Suite 400, Wheat Ridge, CO 80033
P 303.384.9079 • F 303.277.1458